Day to day rule of thumb: Never use anything you would not use on your hands.
All types of stone contain pores, just like our skin. So treat your stone as you would your skin. Never use powdered cleaners or abrasive pads to clean your stone. Even “soft scrub” type cleaners contain pumice, which is powered volcanic stone and may damage your stone counter tops or floors. Never use any product that is acidic, contains bleach, or includes substances like ammonia such as Windex. You should always use sealers and cleaning products designed specifically for natural stone.
Stone is extremely dense yet also porous. To prevent stains it must be sealed. Your installer will apply a sealer when they install your tops. The frequency for resealing depends on the stone and the amount of use that the counter tops see. An easy rule of thumb is to monitor around the sink. If you begin to notice that water does not bead up, or soaks in the stone within 15 minutes, then it is probably time to re-seal. Re-sealing is easy, simply wipe on and wipe off!
We highly recommend these stone care products!
- Better Bio Solutions Gentle Giant– A heavy duty tile, grout, and natural stone cleaner **bio-safe and biodegradable**
- Stonetech Bulletproof Sealer – Protects your stone from most stains while preserving it’s natural look
- Stonetech Revitalizer Cleaner and Protector – A gentle daily-use formula with built in sealer for added protection.
- Dry Treat Stain Proof – A unique breathable sealer that protects your stone from most stains while preserving it’s natural look.
- Stonetech Oil Stain Remover or Mold & Mildew Stain Remover
- Stonetech Sanitizer – An any surface sanitizer that kill 99.999% of bacteria in 1 minute